215 70 16

7 replies [Last post]
helijohn
helijohn's picture
  • Online Status: Offline
I am trying to clarify things having got a bit muddle so can anyone who has the lower saddle height front suspension tell me if they have fitted 215 70 16 tyres to standard 6" rims please.

Work in progress on my just acquired delapidated  2003 Vivo 11 Junior in need of TLC    

Do it right, use Hammerite.

Why simpify when it is simpler to complicate.

Claude io
Claude io's picture
215/70/16

I cannot say at 100 % as I do not have this strut, but the 215/70/16 should be around 12 mm closer to the lower spring plate....(close to one extra inch in diameter) do you have that to spare ? maybe a bit more for the wear of your tyre.

I think that Fordem have them on his car, as standard, and I think that the speedo is nearly perfect with that size tyre (using a GPS). The speedo is a bit under with the 215/65/16. 

Happy new year

helijohn
helijohn's picture
Happy new year

Happy new year to you Claude

I am wondering if 215 70 16 fits on the lower saddle version - such tyres are  27.85" tall.  If so I could go to 225 wide but get a tyre that is the same height as the 215 70 16.  The 225 70 16 is 28.4" tall.  The 225 65 16 is half inch taller than the standar tyre fitment so there is a drop in height from the 70 aspect even on the wider tyre.

So really I need to know if the 215 70 16 size will fit on the standard alloys.

Another factor is I intend to use part worn tyres so they will be 50% worn.  It is only a standby car so it will get only a small amount of use and I only do 2000 miles total in a year anyway - no point in fitting new tyres. So that means the tread height will be ¼" (0.25") less than new which drops the overall tyre height by half an inch.

In short 50% worn 225 70 16 will be 27.9" tall compared to new 215 65 16 at 27".

I

Work in progress on my just acquired delapidated  2003 Vivo 11 Junior in need of TLC    

bob_oz
bob_oz's picture
yes to 215 70 16

YES

215-70-16 just fits on old low saddle struts

bob_oz
bob_oz's picture
posting some struts

i'm keen to work out freighting of some tall spring pan struts to you if you want - You can have my old high-perch fronts for free if you'd like (fairly soft, changed at 200,000kms) but OK for use or koni rebuilds.

I'deven be happy to on-forward some new KYB ones if you wanted too.

might be able to get cheap international forwarding through work

fordem
Just confirming Claude's comment...

My iO (an early JDM model) came with the low spring chair struts and 215/70R16 tires on the stock alloys - the tires just clear the spring chairs.

helijohn
helijohn's picture
Good news

fordem wrote:

My iO (an early JDM model) came with the low spring chair struts and 215/70R16 tires on the stock alloys - the tires just clear the spring chairs.

OK thanks for that.  It means if I can keep the overall tyre diameter to the same or under  the 215 70 16 diameter (which is 27.85") I should be OK.  The pity is the 225 70 16 are 28.4" but if half the tread is worn and is 5mm gone that equates to 0.4" overall (2x5mm) which, doing my sums, brings the diameter down to 28" and that could be touch and go.   All fine in theory innit.wink

helijohn
helijohn's picture
Muchas gracias

bob_oz wrote:

i'm keen to work out freighting of some tall spring pan struts to you if you want - You can have my old high-perch fronts for free if you'd like (fairly soft, changed at 200,000kms) but OK for use or koni rebuilds.

I'deven be happy to on-forward some new KYB ones if you wanted too.

might be able to get cheap international forwarding through work

Thams Bob.  I don't see myself keeping this long enough to warrant major work though.frown

Syndicate

Syndicate content

Translate This Site Into Your Language